Do I need a probate attorney?
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Estate Planning
  4.  » Who takes the kids if you and your spouse pass away?

Who takes the kids if you and your spouse pass away?

On Behalf of | Sep 19, 2019 | Estate Planning

Some questions really make parents feel uncomfortable, and with good reason. One such question is who takes the children if you and your spouse both pass away unexpectedly.

Did that make you cringe a little bit? It’s not fun to think about. It’s something that a lot of parents try to ignore because they don’t know how to face it.

But it’s not wise to ignore it. These things can happen. Maybe it’s a car accident. Maybe it’s a house fire. Yes, you hope it never happens to you, but you cannot know that it won’t. Tragic accidents happen all the time, every day. Where does that leave your family?

Part of estate planning is simply setting up a plan for your kids while they are still minors. Who do you want to raise them? How do you want to leave money to them? Have you talked with the people you want to be involved to make sure that they also want to take on that responsibility? It’s a two-way street.

The question probably makes you uncomfortable, at least in part, because of the uncertainty that it brings to your family. There is something you can do about that. Having a plan in place at least gives you the peace of mind of knowing that your children will be taken care of in accordance with your wishes if the unthinkable happens. Your family is ready.

As you get this plan in place, you can see how crucial it is to really take the time to consider all of the different options you have available to you.


FindLaw Network